It finally came…no more being hosted by generous bloggers and big spreads of food and drink. We are slowly driving out of our ‘area of online friends’ and into the unknown. This would be the first time we needed to break out the camping gear for the team as we were headed for the European kick off of the Mongol Rally. The European Mongol Rally launch and the ‘legendary Czechout’ party take place in the depths of Bohemia in a huge medieval castle. It’s where the teams from all the corners of Europe to gather to celebrate the begining of their Mongol Rally adventure, joined by those (like us) who set forth from the UK to welcome the new Euro-brethren into the belly of the Rally.
We arrived right before the sun went down and started setting up camp. The field was filled with other teams and cars – it was a massively fun site to see! Once again you could interact with other teams and see the gear they brought…or didn’t bring. However there were many teams with some really tricked out camping gear and spots. Mental note…we need to make friends with them.
The only problem with camping is that it was COLD. I wasn’t expecting to be able to see my breath in July! We had to dig out all of our warmest close already. I hadn’t anticipated needing those until Mongolia. Once the tents were set up we went off to check out the Czechout party. The theme was Arabian Nights – and Dave and Deb were the only ones who had something packed along that could really work for the theme – their Bedouin scarves from their recent trip to Jordan.
The party was a huge drunk fest with a great live band and lots of beer bongs. I had flashbacks of my college days, but decided it was better to simply watch the craziness rather than partake to the extent that many teams were. I really didn’t want the hangover in the car the next day; I guess that means I AM getting old! We met a few other teams, but I hardly think they will remember us the next day.
The next morning we were up and out to Prague bright and early. No hangover, no headache…but somehow I had caught the beginnings of a cold. I bet my teammates were thrilled about being shut up in a small car with me hacking for hours. They may be kicking me out soon!
How to donate to our charity – the Christina Nobel Foundation – we are still collecting donations along the way!
- It’s Real Now
- Pimpin’ Our Ride
- Festival of Slow – Mongol Rally Kickoff
- First Stop – Brussels
- Stopped by the Police – Mongol Rally
- Learning to Drive on the Autobahn
- CzechOut our Camping – Mongol Rally
- Racing Through Prague – Mongol Rally
- Driving in Romania
- Twilight in Brasov – Mongol Rally
- Four People One Key – Mongol Rally
- Crossing Borders with Natasha- Mongol Rally
- What I see out my window – Mongol Rally
- Ukraine Highway Culture – Mongol Rally
- Mongol Rally: Driving in Ukraine
- Hotel Nissan – Mongol Rally
- Kiev Paperwork Forgery – Mongol Rally
- Teaming up in Volgograd – Mongol Rally
- Russian Stereotypes
- SMAC Has Taken Over Ottsworld!
- Good Luck at the Kazakhstan Border – Mongol Rally
- The Hardest, Longest, Slowest, Dirtiest Road Yet – Mongol Rally
- The End of The Road – Mongol Rally
- Camping on the Mongol Rally
- Locals to the Rescue – Mongol Rally
- Setting Up Camp – Mongol Rally
- Bad Things do Happen on the Mongol Rally
- The Birth of Kazakhstan Tourism – Mongol Rally
- Kazakhstan’s Secret City – Astana
- The Best Laid Plans – Mongol Rally
- Our Car’s Health – Mongol Rally
- My ride in a Kazakhstan Police Car – Mongol Rally
- The Real Adventure Begins – Mongol Rally
- Minor Repairs – Mongol Rally
- How To Wait at a Border – Mongol Rally
- Border Bonding – Mongol Rally
- Mongolia Freedom – Mongol Rally
- Lost in the Mongol Rally
- Slowing Down – Mongol Rally
- The Mongol Rally Diet
- Muffler Mayhem – Mongol Rally
- Sink or Float – Mongol Rally
- Mongolian Hospitality – Mongol Rally
- Driving in Mongolia
- Tire Trouble – Mongol Rally
- Desert Illusions – Mongol Rally
- Mongolian Malls and Mechanics
- Shocking Tarmac – Mongol Rally
- Mongolian Cloudscapes – Photography
- Ulaanbaatar in our Sights
- The Finish Line – Mongol Rally
- Hurray for our Mongol Rally Sponsors!
- What’s it all for?
- What Happens to the Car?