My brain was so busy anticipating penguins and landscapes. Yet throughout both of my Antarctica cruises, I realized that there was much more to Antarctica than I originally thought. Some of the things you could do there were quite surprising! Here are 7 things to do in Antarctica that surprisingly don’t involve wildlife! Go shopping […]
Things to do in Antarctica :
- Visit the Port Lockroy museum and get a glimpse of the history of what life was like in this remote area.
- Enjoy some vodka at the Ukranian Vernadsky base bar.
- Do a little shopping – Port Lockroy, the UK base, provided the most extensive shopping experience with a large gift shop of Antarctica souvenirs, but Vernadsky, the Ukranian base, boasts the Southernmost Souvenir Shop in the world!
- Explore the ghost town of Whaler Bay on Deception Island.
- Do some sea kayaking. Kayaking is the best thing about a Cruise to Antarctica and the best way to get out on the still glassy water and see a completely different perspective.
- Observe the adorableness of Antarctica’s penguins. It is home to 6 different species – Adelies, Chinstraps, Emperors, Gentoos, Macaronis and Rockhoppers.
Pictures of Antarctica :
Playful penguins, incredible icebergs and wondrous water – all of this awaits you in my Antarctica photo gallery.
See my Ultimate Antarctica Packing List
Antarctica packing is much more than just ensuring you have warm clothes! Before you go, make sure you have all of these Antarctica items!
Read More About Antarctica TravelBack to Destinations
How to Travel to Antarctica: The Ultimate Guide
Traveling to Antarctica is a bucket list item for a lot of people. And I’m lucky enough to have been to Antarctica – not once – but twice. On two occasions, I got to travel to Antarctica and cross a couple of items off my bucket list. Right there at the top – there it […]
4 New Zealand Islands You’ve Never Heard Of But Should Explore
I love traveling to places that are lesser known, but spectacular. It makes me feel like I’ve found this great little secret. New Zealand of course is well known, but the New Zealand islands are not, and that’s exactly why they should be on your New Zealand itinerary. The Subantarctic Islands, aren’t really a secret […]
Is Cooking at Sea the Hardest Place to be a Chef?
Crash! A pan slides off the counter, as Chef Max grabs at air. He was one second too late to catch it as it went plummeting to the floor and the chopped veggies end up all over the kitchen floor. I could see Max immediately go into ‘plan B’ mode. The ship was traversing through […]
How to Pack for an Antarctica Cruise
If you are going to the bottom of the world, one would think you are simply packing the warmest stuff you can find – but there’s much more to an Antarctica packing list than warm clothes! I’ve been to Antarctica twice now, and each time I was surprised to find out the weather wasn’t as […]
Macquarie Island Wildlife Expedition: A Paradise for Nature Lovers
Embark on an unforgettable adventure to witness the wonders of Macquarie Island wildlife, where you are the visitor on their island! There are 50,000 of them and 50 of us. We officially were in the minority now. The animals are in charge, we are the visitors, and suddenly have to play by their rules. There […]
Travels with my Father
“What percentage of the world’s population do you think gets to see this?” dad asks while standing on deck surrounded by Antarctica and its snow covered peaks and icebergs. “I don’t know dad – a very small percentage I guess.” I reply. After a slight pause – he says ” They should all see it.” […]