“You’re still here?” Mark asks as I walk in the door hoping to get some dinner before they close at 8 PM. I smile and say, “Of course – I love it here!” as I sit down and order my regular Lemongrass Luau beer (brewed in Hawaii) and look at the menu. Mark and I […]
Things to do in Hawaii – Lana’i :
- The hiking on Lana’i can be quite varied since it has cool pine forests as well as more typical coastal hikes. I suggest the Koloiki Ridge Trail or the Kaunolu Trail.
- Lana’i has over 100 miles of unpaved roads. All you need is a jeep rental and a grand off roads adventure awaits where you can see a failed shipwreck, the alien landscape of the Garden of the Gods, tide pools and long stretches of isolated beaches.
- Exploring near Lopa beach is a great way to see the sea turtles that are so prevalent on Lana’i. Take a hike on the beach or try a kayaking adventure.
Hotels in Hawaii – Lana’i :
- The welcoming and cozy Hotel Lana’i is an old plantation hotel used originally to host the Dole pineapple executives and management.
- The Lodge at Ko’ele takes advantage of the pine wooded environment to create a lodge-like atmosphere – not what you would expect in Hawaii, but lovely nonetheless with afternoon tea and Hawaiian cultural programs.
- Manele Bay Resort boasts some impressive landscaping with a tropical open, breezy and light feel and the best bed, linens and slippers ever!
Food in Hawaii – Lana’i :
- Lana’i City Grille has a great menu that highlights the local seafood as well as meat which showcases the diversity of Lana’i perfectly.
Pictures of Hawaii – Lana’i :
The landscape of Lana’i offers such delicious variety – tropical lushness, cool pine forests and stretches of tree-less red dirt. So much beauty to behold. Take a look for yourself here in my Hawaii – Lana’i photo gallery.
Read More About Hawaii – Lanai TravelBack to Destinations
Hiking on Lanai Hawaii: These 5 Trails Will Show you the Entire Island Paradise
Hiking on Lanai is a bit different from the other Hawaiian islands that are filled with lush rainforests and palm tree strewn beaches. There are some forested areas – but much of the island is barren and treeless. It has 400 miles of roads on this little island, but 95% of the roads you need […]
How to Visit Lanai on a Budget and Travel More Local
“But what about those who want to visit Lanai on a budget? This nagging question is what kept going through my head when I initially arrived in Lana’i. When two of the three hotels on the entire island are luxury Four Seasons resorts, what is a budget traveler on Lana’i to do? It took me […]
Go on an Offroading Adventure with Lanai Jeep Rentals
The jeep door creaked when I opened it. I took a big step and hoisted myself up into the driver’s seat and shut the door. A cloud of red dust was stirred up with the slam of the door. I turned the key and the engine rumbled to life. The top was down, and life […]
We arrive at Polihua beach after a long dirty off-roading drive. We get out of the jeep, slam the creaky door, dust ourselves off, and step out from the scruffy trees that we parked near. Immediately the wind catches me and blows me back catching me off guard and unstable rocking in the sand. Polihua […]
The Purrfect Cat Sanctuary in Lanai
We use the expression “herding cats” to refer to refers to an attempt to control or organize a group which is uncontrollable or chaotic. It depicts something difficult, challenging, and nearly impossible. However on the island of Lana’i “herding cats” is common place – and the volunteers of Lana’i Cat Sanctuary make it look simple. […]
A Tale of Two Four Seasons on Lanai Island Hawaii
On the Hawaiian Island of Lanai, there are only 3 hotels on the whole island. The surprising thing is that two of the three are practically twins. The two Four Seasons luxury resorts are only 8 miles apart, but they seem like two completely different worlds apart. Note: I updated this post in 2020 since the […]