As soon as the shuttle turned onto the main road leaving the airport I realized that I would be seeing much more than palm trees on the island of Lana’i. Pine trees lined the road leading into Lana’i City and I new I was in for a topiary treat over the next 10 days! Granted […]
Things to do in Hawaii – Lana’i :
- The hiking on Lana’i can be quite varied since it has cool pine forests as well as more typical coastal hikes. I suggest the Koloiki Ridge Trail or the Kaunolu Trail.
- Lana’i has over 100 miles of unpaved roads. All you need is a jeep rental and a grand off roads adventure awaits where you can see a failed shipwreck, the alien landscape of the Garden of the Gods, tide pools and long stretches of isolated beaches.
- Exploring near Lopa beach is a great way to see the sea turtles that are so prevalent on Lana’i. Take a hike on the beach or try a kayaking adventure.
Hotels in Hawaii – Lana’i :
- The welcoming and cozy Hotel Lana’i is an old plantation hotel used originally to host the Dole pineapple executives and management.
- The Lodge at Ko’ele takes advantage of the pine wooded environment to create a lodge-like atmosphere – not what you would expect in Hawaii, but lovely nonetheless with afternoon tea and Hawaiian cultural programs.
- Manele Bay Resort boasts some impressive landscaping with a tropical open, breezy and light feel and the best bed, linens and slippers ever!
Food in Hawaii – Lana’i :
- Lana’i City Grille has a great menu that highlights the local seafood as well as meat which showcases the diversity of Lana’i perfectly.
Pictures of Hawaii – Lana’i :
The landscape of Lana’i offers such delicious variety – tropical lushness, cool pine forests and stretches of tree-less red dirt. So much beauty to behold. Take a look for yourself here in my Hawaii – Lana’i photo gallery.
Read More About Hawaii – Lanai TravelBack to Destinations
How to Visit Lanai on a Budget
“But what about those who travel on a budget? This nagging question is what kept going through my head when I initially arrived in Lana’i. When two of the three hotels on the entire island are luxury resorts, what is a budget traveler on Lana’i to do? It took me a few days, but slowly […]
Jeep Adventures in Lana’i
The door creaked when I opened it. I took a big step and hoisted myself up into the drivers seat and shut the door. A cloud of red dust was stirred up with the slam of the door. I turned the key and the engine rumbled to life. The top was down, and life was […]
The Purrfect Sanctuary in Lanai
We use the expression “herding cats” to refer to refers to an attempt to control or organize a group which is uncontrollable or chaotic. It depicts something difficult, challenging, and nearly impossible. However on the island of Lana’i “herding cats” is common place – and the volunteers of Lana’i Animal Rescue Center (LARC) make it […]
An Island to Get Away From it All – Lana’i
“You’re still here?” Mark asks as I walk in the door hoping to get some dinner before they close at 8PM. I smile and say “Of course – I love it here!” as I sit down and order my regular Lemongraass Luau beer (brewed in Hawaii) and look at the menu. Mark and I chat […]
I’ve had ten days on the little (virtually unknown) island of Lana’i in Hawaii. So unknown that Lonely Planet doesn’t even have a section on it’s website about it! I’ve been breaking in my new Gallaxy SIII smartphone at the same time as part of this trip. And what better place than this unique […]