+143 Tweet35 Pin1 Share Share11 StumbleShares 90I can’t do it all myself these days, so I’ve had traveler Staci Schwarz helping me with various admin stuff on my blog – thank you Staci! Recently she and her family took off from Iowa for a career break and are currently traveling the world. They just landed […]
Things to do in Turkey
- Hiking the Lycian Way – a 25-day way-marked footpath around the coast of Lycia in southern Turkey, from Fethiye to Antalya – and enjoy the challenge and beauty of this untouched ancient hiking trail.
- Explore the incredible diversity of Istanbul neighborhoods.
- Experience the peaceful quiet of Cappadocia from hot air balloon heights or get a little dirty on a quad bike adventure through the jagged landscape.
- Definitely do a boat charter in Kas to see Turkey’s Mediterranean Coast! I took a gloriously relaxing cruise around the Mediterranean aboard the Selin 3.
- Go underground and explore the otherworldly Basilica Cistern in Istanbul.
- Experience an entirely new level of clean at a Turkish bath hamam.
- Attend a mesmerizing Turkish Whirling Dervish religious ceremony.
Hotels in Turkey :
- The strangest place I have ever stayed on my travels was in Istanbul.
- My Istanbul apartment in Galata had me feeling like a visitor instead of a tourist.
Turkey Food :
- Wander the Turkish markets and get the insight on traditional Turkish Food on a Context market tour in Istanbul.
- I did a little grocery shopping in Istanbul Markets in Tarlabasi on the “wrong side of town.”
- Partake in a delicious exploration of these unique Turkish desserts that push your limits and get you to look at dessert in a new way!
Pictures of Turkey:
If you are mesmerized by images that capture the beauty of culture, history and architecture, you should whisk yourself right over here to my Turkey photo gallery.
Read More About Turkey TravelBack to Destinations
Most Unusual Destinations for Viewing Fall Colors
+115 Tweet53 Pin741 Share6 Share803 Stumble13Shares 1.6KFall is a great time to travel, and there is a well-worn path heading to America’s Northeast to see the fall colors every year. You have to try to get your reservations early for fall foliage viewing, and then fight the crowds, which doesn’t sound like much fun to […]
Hiking the Lycian Way FAQs
+17 Tweet80 Pin42 Share Share35 Stumble3.2KShares 3.4KAll of your basic questions about walking the Lycian Way answered! And if you have more questions about hiking the Lycian Way that I didn’t cover – please leave it in the comments and I will add it to this list periodically. The Lycian Way is a 509 km […]
Beginnings and Endings Lycian Way
+134 Tweet50 Pin5 Share Share7 Stumble2.6KShares 2.7KEndings are always so bittersweet. Two weeks ago when I began hiking the Lycian Way with Warren and Betsy in Kas, I was looking forward to simply getting through the hike. I had a long painful hiking transition to make ahead of me. But now, it was here – […]
Taking the Less Traveled Low Road
+117 Tweet48 Pin11 Share Share2 Stumble2.5KShares 2.6KWhen it comes to travel, there’s a lot of talk about deciding between 2 roads. Robert Frost probably has the most famous commentary when it comes to deciding with road to take. However there’s also reference to the high and low road in this Scottish folk song Loch Lomand: […]
War Games Along the Lycian Way
+125 Tweet43 Pin15 Share Share9 Stumble401Shares 493As the light started to filter in through the tent I heard it. Chug, chug, chug, chug, chug, chug. The even puttering sound was soothing to wake up to, but when my mind woke up and remembered where I was – camping at a remote lighthouse in Turkey – […]
Finding Hiking Zen Along the Lycian Way
+166 Tweet53 Pin52 Share Share13 Stumble107Shares 291In every long distance hike you go through the normal ‘change’ progression of shock, denial, acceptance, commitment – as you stop fighting all of the changes and soreness that your body is going through and you adjust your view and attitude to the situation. And then it becomes fun. […]
Unwanted Advances Along the Lycian Way
+131 Tweet51 Pin Share Share7 Stumble2.3KShares 2.4KI squinted my eyes and peered out onto the bush filled mountain searching for the trail. “Look, do you see it?” he said as he placed his hand on my knee. “The trail is right here.” Pointing across my body. I still couldn’t really see it but decided to […]
Trail of Thorns
+129 Tweet44 Pin60 Share Share9 Stumble111Shares 253The day had finally come. The day I had to do it all by myself – no boat, no help. I had to put on my full pack with water and food for 2 days. As I strapped on my pack I about toppled over. It was going to […]
Lycian Way By Land and Sea
+120 Tweet47 Pin30 Share1 Share189 Stumble87Shares 374I stared out at all of the boats and yachts on the vivid sapphire blue water and wondered – what the hell am I doing here on the rocky ground, when I could be gently swaying on a boat? The Turkish Mediterranean coast is some of the most lovely […]