+11 Tweet37 Pin6 Share Share19 Stumble20Shares 83The morning air was cool and crisp when I walked out of my apartment in Venice. The chilly air felt like pin pricks on my skin, but I was happy for this cool breeze because in no time I would be sweating from carrying all of my gear. I […]
Things to do in Italy :
- Visit the island cemetery of Cimitero di San Michele and muse about the lives of the people buried there.
- Tour the secret passages of the Doge’s Palace in Venice and get a glimpse inside the ancient politics and Venice’s role in the world of trading, finance and justice.
- Take a tour of the Vatican with Context Tours – “tours for the intellectually curious” – and experience the art, architecture and history with an incredibly interesting and knowledgeable guide.
Hotels in Italy :
- Not quite hotel/not quite hostel, the unique cool vibe of the Beehive has had me coming back over and over again.
Food in Italy :
- Learn how to eat pizza like a local and put your new skills to use at Antica Pizzaeria Sorbillo in Naples.
- Cook up some mouth-watering local dishes at Mami Camilla’s cooking school near Sorrento on the Almafi Coast.
- Explore the food and culture of the Testaccio Neighborhood in Rome with a food tour through markets, gourmet food shops, sidewalk cafes, gelato shops and historical sights.
Pictures of Italy :
Italy is a photographer’s delight. From cities that comfortably combine both the ancient and modern to stunning coast lines to beautiful piazzas. You can see it all and more in my photo gallery of Italy. Ciao Bella!!
Read More About Italy TravelBack to Destinations
Rome Then and Now
+133 Tweet106 Pin54 Share2 Share30 Stumble5.0KShares 5.3KMy parents recently did a European trip which included Germany and Italy. They had a great time and enjoyed all of the cities and sites…except Rome. This was really surprising since I find Rome to be one of the coolest cities in Europe. How could anyone think that Rome […]
An Island of the Dead
+123 Tweet45 Pin67 Share9 Share8 Stumble22Shares 174If Venice is named the Floating City, then Cimitero San Michele should be named the Floating Dead. Yes, it sounds eerie, but cemeteries can also be quite beautiful and moving to visit. The Cimitero di San Michele has no shortage of moving stories and images. The only way to […]
Shopping at the Rialto Market
+13 Tweet36 Pin96 Share9 Share5 Stumble8Shares 157The Rialto Market is buzzing with activity; boats pull up to docks and burly men unload crates of blood red oranges and artichokes, locals laugh and socialize with the shop keepers, and the fish mongers scale and prepare the fresh catches of the day. This is the main market […]
Breaking Commandents at St. Mark’s Basilica
+15 Tweet47 Pin48 Share13 Share17 Stumble8Shares 138“Thou shall not steal” is known as the eighth commandment – Christianity is built on the Ten Commandments. Yet somehow the most holiest of places in Venice, St. Mark’s Basilica, exists thanks to people breaking the 8th commandment! To my surprise I listened to our guide Giussepina talk about […]
Secret Politics in Venice
+118 Tweet50 Pin79 Share14 Share30 Stumble1.3KShares 1.5KPut the word “secret” in front of anything and you’ll get people’s attention. It congers up thoughts of voyeurism, hushed tones, sneaking around, mafia, politics, and religion. Putting the words “Doge’s Palace” behind it creates even more allure…that is if you know what the Doge’s Palace is. If you’ve […]
Gondolas – Photo Documentary
+17 Tweet70 Pin883 Share12 Share14 Stumble1.0KShares 2.0KThey are everywhere you look in Venice; you will spot them by their blue stripes and spastic leg movements. Some of them even have a special song they sing. However, they are quite rare as only about 400 of them exist in the wild…the wilds of Venice that is. […]
Island Hopping in Venice – Is it Worth It?
+12 Tweet48 Pin227 Share6 Share10 Stumble12Shares 305“You have to go to the islands! You have to go to the islands!” everyone kept telling me. Clearly they didn’t fully appreciate my neurosis regarding how stubborn I am. I can’t help it, if everyone keeps telling me to do something, then I really am skeptical about it […]
Venice Travel Tips
+137 Tweet60 Pin205 Share9 Share3 Stumble6Shares 320My arrival in Venice was a bit bleak as I looked out the train window. “It can’t rain on my short 4 days in Venice! I have too many fun tips to do for it to rain!” I thought. Venice was the second stop on my Go with Oh […]
+128 Tweet60 Pin193 Share9 Share17 Stumble5Shares 312I never spent longer than 30 minutes in Naples prior to this trip; however that 30 minutes did yield one of he scariest cab rides I’ve ever taken! Since Bethany and I were on a quest to have the best pizza in Naples, we got to spend more then […]