“It’s like Hawaii and Colorado had a baby” – that’s how my niece Lindsey described New Zealand, and that’s actually pretty damn accurate. I have been in few places in the world with this beautiful of turquoise waters, beaches, wildlife, and snowy mountain peaks. A country where you can do it all, and we did.
We spent most of our time in the North Island driving through the middle and hitting the main sights. Our little Intrepid Travel group of 15 people was a perfect way to experience the island as we all had different backgrounds and interests so even though we had a lot of time driving, it was always interesting. We had an abundance of adventure and cultural activities available to us as we traversed the island. After all, New Zealand is know for adventure, so you have to get out and get that adrenaline engaged – and we did! Besides the adrenaline rush of our Bungee jumping day, my favorite thing to do here is hike. We did a short day hike one day surrounded by volcanoes, an amazing feeling to be among these natural wonders.
However the best part was that Lindsey was so fun to travel with. She was always upbeat, on time, and polite to everyone. And most importantly, she made me laugh. My memories that are firmly implanted in my mind are not necessarily the beautiful landscapes of New Zealand. My memories are of sharing earbuds and listening to her music or comedy shows together while eating her many bags of candy. Or the time when she made dinner in the backpacker kitchen for us. Or when we got into a civilized conversation about politics. These are the memories that will last forever.
The 2 weeks of Niece Project 5.0 went really fast, too fast. I was sad to see Lindsey go home this New Year. But at least we have some great photos and videos for memories! Here are some of my favorite Instagram photos from our time on the Niece Project.
Pier sunset colors. We took a walk out on this pier near the aquarium to catch the beautiful pastel skies of sunset over #Auckland ! So nice to be in summer again with long days! #NieceProject is off to a great start! Thanks to @indietravel for welcoming us to their hometown and taking us to the best sunset spots!
- New Zealand In-stagram Review
- Getting There Niece Project 5.0
- Niece Project 5.0 Travel Decisions
- The Niece Project
- Rome for the First Time
- The Heart of Food in Rome
- Vatican 101
- Rome Travel Tips
- Taking the Path Previously Traveled
- How to Eat Pizza Like an Italian
- The Next Niece – Destination Unknown
- Evie’s Decision
- Modern Family
- Are we There Yet?
- Assuming Responsibility
- Finding our Stride in Hanoi
- What to Expect in Halong Bay
- Local Experiences Along the Tourist Trail in Hue
- Taking the High Road Hai Van Pass
- Hunting for Photos in Hoi An
- Saigon Unseen
- The Incredible Edible Egg Embryo
- Saigon Street Food
- How to be a Good First Time Traveler
- The Niece Project Version 3.0
- Week In-Stagram Review Niece Project 3.0
- Week In-Stagram Review Volunteering
- Bumpy Beginnings Niece Project 3.0
- How to travel with other people’s kids
- New Perspectives in the Sacred Valley
- Into Thin Air with a Teenager
- Inca Trail Alternate Route
- Machu Picchu a Decade Later
- It’s a Jungle Out There
- A Teenager’s View of Peru
- Building Homes in Las Laderas Peru
- Project Peru
- Feeding the Masses in Puente Piedra
- Niece Project 4.0 The Decision
- Week In-stagram Review Belize
- Welcome to the Belize Jungle
- How To Be First In the ATM Cave Belize
- Taking Flight in Belize
- 3 Ways to Explore Belize Caves
- Under the Sea in Belize
- Exploring Firsts in Placencia Belize
For the 3rd year the Niece Project is working with Intrepid Travel! Check out their great family travel opportunities. Family doesn’t always have to mean the conventional family, it is also for aunts and uncles!
I was a guest of Intrepid Travel on this tour However all opinions are my own.